According to several studies on climate change and the conservation of biodiversity and ecosystems, the next 10 years are crucial to forge a path of better practices to transform the ways in which we relate to nature, with other people and living beings. The United Nations General Assembly declared 2021-2030 the United Nations Decade for Ecosystem Restoration. And along the lines of the Sustainable Development Goals, also known as the Global Goals, we face a “universal call to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure that all people enjoy peace and prosperity by 2030.” (United Nations Development Program)
In light of this and what we are already experiencing around the world – the Covid-19 pandemic, wildfires, unprecedented heat, drought, floods and tornadoes – we at Estudio Nuboso feel it is now not only important but urgent to rethink our ways of life. And in Panama, to really focus on protecting our ecosystems and tropical rainforests that are key to climate regulation and the well-being of life on Earth.
For these reasons and because of our deep love for the tropics and its inhabitants, we present our Vision 2021-2030 for this important decade:
- To put our creative, communication, cultural management and networking resources at the service of the protection, restoration and better understanding of tropical ecosystems in Panama and their importance to the planet.
- To continue promoting collaboration and dialogue between people, communities and different worlds of knowledge, creating alliances and support networks with initiatives that share similar values.
- Promote and be part of the movement of change of perception and action necessary to achieve a better human-nature relationship.
- To bring economics and ecology closer together – that is, to relate the concepts of economic development to the principles of life and resilience; to rethink what is valuable, how much is enough and what abundance really means.
In relation to our work as a platform for ecological thinking and artistic, creative, multidisciplinary action, this vision is already beginning to manifest itself in the following ways:
- We make our resources and programs available to institutions and organizations, to support them in generating cross-sector collaborations, community outreach, and the integration of thoughts and actions more aligned with ecology and creativity. All our programs and workshops are tailored to the needs of the requesting institution.
- Among our special projects, we are collaborating with Carolina Borrero and her multimedia project, La Selva Llama, whose objective is to redefine for Panamanian youth the magic and importance of biodiversity for our country and the planet; giving voice to existing initiatives working for the protection and restoration of the diverse tropical forests in our territory.
- As soon as possible, we will activate our Nuboso Retreats as a practice to reconnect with nature and to develop ideas, activities and visions. We will be expanding these retreats to collaborators, supporters, allies (individuals, organizations and companies) interested in developing their environmental awareness and creative connection.
Photographs by Tova Katzman.